The Pupil Premium is a government initiative that targets extra money at pupils from deprived backgrounds. Research shows that pupils from deprived backgrounds underachieve compared to their non-deprived peers.
Currently, the premium is worth £1320 and goes to pupils who are currently on Free School Meals (FSM) or have been registered for (FSM) in the past six years, children in care, adopted children and service children also continue to qualify for the Pupil Premium.
The Premium is provided to enable these pupils to be supported. The Government considers the above groups as indicators of deprivation, and has provided a fixed amount of money for schools per pupil based on the number of pupils registered for FSM over a rolling six year period. This fixed amount of money is expected to increase every year for the course of this current Parliament. At Sandhurst we will be using the indicator of those eligible for FSM as well as identified vulnerable groups as our target children to ‘close the gap’ regarding attainment.
The school’s allocation of Pupil Premium Funding
The figures for Pupil Premium Eligibility are taken from the January census. At this time, we had 16% of pupils on roll who were eligible for Pupil Premium Funding. All of these were identified under the Ever6 category, (i.e. in receipt of Free School Meals at any point in the past six years).
Our pupil premium strategy will be reviewed in July every year, with a mid-year budget review in February.
- Parent Support Advisor – supporting vulnerable families e.g. parenting skills, attendance and punctuality, transition to KS3
- Pupil Premium Conferencing – 2 termly 1:1 meetings with PPG pupils and their class teacher
- Resources to meet the individual needs of pupils
- Quality First Teaching and intervention – training and support e.g. attachment training
- Financial assistance to ensure inclusion and enrichment i.e. Lunch time club, and contributions towards school trips
- Funding to attend Breakfast Club
- Reading incentives i.e. Bouncy afternoon, Read and Discover prizes
- Attendance incentives
- Summer holiday support resources
- Homework support resources
- Help with school uniform